How Much Does it Cost to Professionally Paint a Deck?
There is no one-size-fits-all answer when it comes to painting your deck. The cost can vary depending on the size, the material of choice (wood or metal?), condition, and quality you want for that project – but most homeowners end up spending around $2-$7 per square foot. On average, 300 square feet will run you about $1,550 but there are many factors that can affect this price like labor rates or material conditions which we’ll get into more below.
There are many types of decks that can be painted, but the most popular are wood decks. Here are a few examples of decks and the average cost to have them professionally painted.
- Wooden decks – When painting a small 10-foot by 10-foot deck, the average cost is between $190 and $500. However, for larger 16 feet by 32-inch structures, for example, you should expect to pay more per square foot in materials costs. Wooden decks need to be regularly treated and stained in order to protect them from the elements, and painting them is a great way to keep them looking new. There are also many types of paints and finishes that can be used on wooden decks, so be sure to ask your contractor about the options available.
- Metal decks – Metal decks can cost anywhere from $1 to $5 per square foot, but they could go up to around $9 per square foot depending on if you need extra cleaning to remove oil from new metal before painting. Metal decks are usually made out of galvanized steel or aluminum, and they can be painted with a variety of different coatings. Be sure to talk to your contractor about what type of paint or coating would be best for your metal deck.
- Composite decks – When painting a composite deck the price does not differ greatly from that of a standard wooden deck. The average cost remains between $190-$500. Composite decks are made out of a mixture of wood fibers and plastic, and they can be painted with a variety of different colors and finishes. Talk to your contractor about the best type of paint or coating for your composite deck.
The cost to paint a deck can vary depending on the size of your deck, the type of paint you choose, and whether you hire a professional or do it yourself. Be sure to ask for references and samples of their previous work before hiring someone. Most professionals will give you an estimate based on the size of your deck and the type of paint you want to use.
What Factors Affect the Cost of Painting a Deck?
There are several factors that can affect the cost of painting a deck, including the size of the deck, the type of paint you choose, and whether you hire a professional or do it yourself.
The size of your deck is one of the most important factors that will affect the cost of painting it. The larger your deck, the more time and materials it will take to paint it. Additionally, if your deck is particularly large or complex, it may be more difficult to paint without hiring a professional.
Type of Paint
The type of paint you choose is also important. Some paints are specifically made for decks, which can be more expensive than regular house paint. However, these specialized paints may last longer and provide better coverage. If you’re painting your deck yourself, be sure to read the labels on the paint cans to make sure you’re getting the right type for your project.
Diy or Professional
Finally, whether you hire a professional or do it yourself can also affect the cost of painting your deck. If you’re inexperienced or don’t have the proper equipment, it may be cheaper and easier to hire a professional.
Cost and Benefits of Hiring a Professional
The average cost of labor to paint a deck is about $1-$5 per square foot, depending on the prep work and size. Painter hourly rates are usually between $19-50 dollars for an entire job including prep, cleaning, and priming before applying two coats of paint.
You should consider hiring a professional if you want the job done right and don’t want to deal with the hassle and mess of painting it yourself. Most professionals will give you an estimate based on the size of your deck and the type of paint you want to use. Be sure to ask for references and samples of their previous work before hiring someone.
What Does a Professional Painter Do?
- When you hire a professional painter, they will take care of everything from start to finish. This includes preparing the surface, painting it evenly, and applying a protective coating. Professionals have the experience and equipment necessary to complete the job quickly and correctly.
- Hiring a professional can also save you time. If you’re doing the job yourself, you’ll need to factor in the time it takes to buy materials and paint the deck. This can be a daunting task, especially if your deck is large or complex. A professional can complete the job quickly and efficiently, without any hassle.
- Finally, hiring a professional painter can be a wise investment. A good paint job can add value to your home and make it look nicer for years to come. Professionals use high-quality paints and coatings that will protect your deck from the elements.
Tips For Hiring a Professional to Paint
Be sure to get an estimate from several different professionals before deciding which one to hire. This will help you get the best deal and make sure you’re getting what you expect.
Another tip is to be sure to discuss the details of the project with the painter before hiring them. This will ensure that everyone is on the same page and that there are no surprises once the job begins.
Cost of Painting a Deck FAQs
- How Much Does It Cost to Paint a Deck?
The cost of painting a deck can vary depending on the size and complexity of the project. Typically, professionals will charge by square foot. The average cost to paint a deck is between $1,000 and $2,500.
- What Type of Paint Should I Use?
There are a variety of paints and coatings available for decks, and the best one depends on your specific needs. Oil-based paints are generally more durable than latex paints, but they’re also more expensive. There are also a variety of coatings available that can protect your deck from the elements.
- Can I Paint My Deck Myself?
If you’re willing to put in some extra effort and sacrifice some time, you can do the job yourself. However, if you’re not experienced in painting or don’t have the proper supplies, it may cost more to do it yourself in the long run.
Painting a deck can be a daunting task, but it’s definitely worth the effort. By hiring a professional painter, you can rest assured knowing that the job will be done quickly and correctly. Additionally, by using high-quality paints and coatings, you can protect your deck from the elements and ensure that it lasts for many years to come.